Each of you should give what you have decided in your heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work. -2 Corinthians 9:7-8 NIV
Financial Stewardship is but a portion of our responsibility to steward all that God has blessed us with. When we join the church we pledge a commitment of our time, our talent, our gifts and our service. Each is offered, not out of fear, or of slavish obligation, but as a representation of our heart and our worship to God who has blessed us with every good gift. Your heartfelt stewardship of your financial blessings is an essential element of First Church’s ability to release hope and healing in Jesus’ name.
Here are ways in which you can contribute in addition to tithes and offerings given through the offering plate.
- Annual Financial Pledge – Make an annual commitment to the church.
- Online Giving – Make a one-time or recurring contribution. Online giving is not only easy, but safe and secure. Electronic Funds Transfer (EFT) – allows consistent amounts to be drawn directly from your banking account. This option allows you to give as a regular priority and it also reduces the processing expense for the church.
- Mail – Donations may be mailed directly to First Church at 142 E. Jackson St., Orlando, FL 32801.
- Stocks and Mutual Funds: You will receive a tax deduction for the fair market value of your securities at the time of donation and will pay no capital gains tax on the difference between your cost and the fair market value.
- IRA Contributions: Individuals 70.5 years old or older and who are required to take distributions from their IRA or other qualified plan are urged to consider making a gift to their church from those proceeds. The IRS allows the RMD to be directed to a charitable organization without tax liability for amounts up to $100k per year
- Other: Other giving options include life insurance, retirement assets, bequests, personal property, appreciated Real Estate, and charitable lead trusts.
Individuals should check with their financial advisor. For additional information, contact our Director of Finance.
Permanent or Special Endowment Fund
Gifts to the Permanent Endowment Fund or Special Endowment Fund insure that the ministries of First United Methodist Church will go on for many years to come. Endowed giving is a good way to say that you believe in the future of the church, that you want to build a sense of permanence in your gifs, and that you want to create a heritage for future generations. To learn more about leaving a legacy to our church, please contact Billy Shortal, Endowment Committee Chair.
Give by Shopping Online
A new initiative of the United Methodist Church, UMCMarket, has been designed to provide a donation to local United Methodist churches for purchases made while shopping online. Search for your favorite online store and take a minute to set up a UMCMarket account by clicking here. Macy’s, Lowe’s, Ties.com, Petsmart, textbookx.com, Hotels.com and more than 1,000 other online retailers participate!
Learn about the program in this one minute video here:
Sample Participating Retailers and their Donation Optoins