Dear First Church Members,
Last year, First Church received a generous bequest from the W. Bramell Toler estate in the Will of his wife, Ruth Toler and directed that First Church use the money in memory of her husband, who loved our church and was once a member.
When our church received $2 million plus other capital reimbursements related to the sale of additional property to the City of Orlando, we determined that the Toler bequest would fund a “ministry tithe” of $250,000. The intent was to use for local ministry at least ten percent of the amount we had received, although the United Methodist Conference requires the use of a capital payment for capital use only. The Endowment Committee subsequently directed the Ministries Council to allocate and administer $250,000 of the Toler funds consistent with this intent, of which $233,517.54 still remains. It is the intent that these funds shall be used to further the practice of our Ministry Statement and WISE Core Values.
Release hope and healing in Jesus’ name.
W elcome the Marginalized.
I dentify with the Poor.
S ubmit our resources for God’s purposes.
E xperience God’s love and grace personally and then share it with others.
The Ministries Council appointed a committee consisting of Kim Lee, Brock McClane, Deborah Manuel, Suzanne McGovern and Michael Dippy. Tom McCloskey and Brian Johnson were asked to join the committee. A grant process for allocating the money was developed, taken back to the Ministries Council and approved for publication to the congregation.
This new grant process is open to all members for enhancing an existing ministry or creating a new one. Please find the grant application on our website. If you need assistance completing or submitting the application, the church office is happy to help. Contact Maria Waldrep at 407.849.6080 x103. The deadline for submitting the application is 5 p.m. on October 8, 2012. A committee elected by the Ministries Council will recommend recipients to the Ministries Council for approval and the grants will be awarded by November 1, 2012.
If you have questions, please contact Deborah Manuel, Chair of the Ministries Council at or 407.267.8485.
We thank the Toler family for the opportunity to continue God’s work in our community.
The Ministries Council of First United Methodist Church, Orlando, FL
Grant Award Criteria
- The proposed ministry project will demonstrably further the Ministry Statement and “WISE” Core Values of the First United Methodist Church of Orlando.
- The expected impact of the ministry proposal must be clearly described, including a description of how outcomes will be measured and reported.
- The application will demonstrate how a grant will serve as a catalyst to leverage additional described capabilities of the proposed ministry, such as making other or matching funds available, facilitating plans and partnerships with other ministries in the church, attracting new in-kind services, etc.
- The application will demonstrate how the ministry project will empower First Church members and clearly describe the number of members committed to the project.
- Plans for growth of disciples must be clearly described.
- Timeline must include the start date, regular evaluation of progress dates and the final implementation date.
ApplicationPlease keep a copy of your application for your records. We recommend typing your responses into a text file (a draft email, Word, Pages, etc.), then copying and pasting your responses into the fields below. Please keep your answers as concise as possible; the text fields will scroll if your answer does not fit into the visible space below. This will enable you to work on the application in more than one sitting if necessary, and is also a good back up in the event there is an error in submitting and the fields clear.
Applications are no longer being accepted.